Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ask Vs Tell

We had an incident today at work that was very unusual, could have been serious and doesn't really have a textbook answer, although some answers are way more right than others. When the folks came to tell me about it, I listened and then asked then what their plan was.  It was a good plan, I told them I agreed, and then added a couple of instructions and asked them to let me know when it was resolved.

That's just the way I usually do things.  I like to ask questions, let my people think things through, and then either add my own thoughts to complete it or (if I am fresh out of my own ideas!) brain storm together to make sure we have a complete and solid plan.  Could be because that's how I learned medicine and how we teach medicine- let people come up with their own ideas and they remember it next time.

Versus the way another leader I know does it. He just tells people what to do.  And now I think that many of his followers have become dependent on waiting for him to give instructions.  And he is so picky and thorough that whatever product he gets is never good enough.  So there's hardly any point in spending forever on something because it won't be good enough anyway.

Anyway, I wish I had a witty ending to this one, but I don't.  I just like my way better and I think people appreciate it.

No comments: