Search This Blog

Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Notebook

SPOILER ALERT!!!!    Don;t read this if you ever plan to watch The Notebook movie.


So I've heard about this movie for quite some time and frankly, it looked boring and uninteresting.  But a couple of men at work loved it.  I think they love Rachel McAdams as much as the movie plot, but that's another story! So we arranged a movie night- two men, two women, a bag of Tostitos and some salsa.

I think I liked the movie, but I didn't love it.  It's a very nice story.  But I thought it had a happy ending.  The other lady watching the movie was crying her eyes out over the sadness at the end, but all I kept thinking was how wonderful it was that they were in love and how happy happy it was that they could die together.  I was a bit surprised when they woke up dead because I was thinking maybe she'd wake up in the middle of the night and not know him again (that scene where she forgot who he was and he was crying WAS the part I almost cried at!) and then he'd have to leave crying again.  Then I thought they would go into a plot of him getting the drugs together for a murder-suicide and putting them in her dinner or something and then killing himself.  I might have cried at that.  I watched a documentary on assisted suicide and it followed a couple and how much in love they were and how she helped him set everything up to do the deed and then sat with him through it and it was all real.  That made me cry.  But when they woke up dead, lying in each other's arms, all peaceful and sort of smiling....I thought that was a happy ending.  That's how I want to go- in my sleep with my hubby.

 So sometimes I think I'm a shallow person.  I don't over analyze.  Heck, most of the time I hardly analyze at all!  In high school and college we had to analyze stories and poems and stuff and people always got these deeper meanings out of them.  And I always was thinking- maybe the guy was just writing a story.  I wonder what he would think of you all getting all this stuff out of it.  Does the fact that I didn't bawl my eyes out at the movie that others think is really sad make me shallow?  I don't know.  I hope not, but I think it's a definite possibility.  OK my friends- tell me....am I shallow?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

You're not shallow. And all stories have deeper meanings. If they didn't, they would be crap. And I wasn't "bawling my eyes out". I was merely tearing a little. (And I also happen to know you are not insensitive...as proven by being upset about glue traps.) So there.

Anonymous said...

Um, no.... since you have called yourself out publicly- you were bawling your eyes out. There was noise involved! But it was very touching. And yeah- I forgot I bawled my eyes out over a mouse....

Richard (Dad) said...

You know, I don't do "subtle" too well either. Sometimes a guy walking up a dirt road with leaves falling is just that - not a harbinger of death. I nearly flunked Amer. Lit. 'till I started feeding the instructor what she wanted to hear - didn't learn much but got an "A" !! (the leaves falling on the dirt road was one thing I did learn).


Stay safe....

Dad

Hairpin said...

I think you analyze everything. The fact that you aren't sure that you don't think you over-analyze analyzing MAY be a clue.

I don't think you could be shallow if someone paid you. You just don't cry at movies - big whoop. That's what Jack is for... (hee hee)

AFDr.Mom said...

Eric, I think you are right! Sometimes I look over at jack during a movie and he looks WAY more emotional than me..... But not sure he'd admit it. But maybe he would.

Flounder said...

Shallow is definitely not a word that would even come close to popping in my mind when I think of you. I agree with eric...that's what you have Jack for!

Rachel said...

Shallow? No. Spock like, yes. And yes, you analyze everything, usually with a checklist in your mind, and usually in a matter of minutes and then store it away to ponder every once in a while...with me over a glass (I mean bottle) of wine...

I liked the ending, too, but I cried because of how much he missed having her in her right mind and true, unconditional love always make me cry.

AND SOMETIMES PEOPLE ARE JUST WRITING A STORY!!!

Rachel said...

Shallow, no. And yes, you analyze everything, usually with a checklist in your mind, and usually in a matter of minutes and then store it away to ponder every once in a while...with me...over a glass (I mean bottle) of wine...

I cried in that movie because of how much he really missed having her in her right mind, and how would Todd and I be? True unconditional love always makes me cry. I thought it was a happy ending too.

AND YES, SOMETIMES PEOPLE ARE JUST WRITING A STORY!!!