Search This Blog

Saturday, October 16, 2010

triathlon!

Did my first triathlon in about 18 months today.  it was awesome!  I signed up for it months ago while I was still in Afghanistan. Despite the fact that I prefer the longer distances, I prudently signed up for the shorter one since I knew it i'd only be back about 3-4 weeks when I did it.  I wasn't concerned at all about the run or the bike- it the swim I was worried about- they did not have a pool in Afghanistan.  This was my first open water swim in competition.  i only had 2 goals today- do well on the swim and go hard the whole way.  My stretch goal was to place, but I knew that was a long shot.

The triathlon was at Hickory Knob State Park in western SC.  I've never been in this part of the state before- it's pretty hilly- that will be a factor later!  I left after work and drove here by myself .  jack and the kids came later since they went to the football game.  I nearly ran over 2 deer and saw several on the side of the road.  i checked in and got to the room.  Got all my stuff ready and set the alarm for 0630 (for an 0700 packet pick up time).  Miraculously, i was able to fall asleep and did not wake up until 0200 when Jack and the kids arrived.  Heather's boyfriend, Mike, is also staying with us for the weekend.  He gets a mattress on the floor- on James' side of the bed!  We got hem all settled in and then I was out like a light again.  I woke up at 0600 and was all antsy and couldn't get back to sleep.  So I got up and got my stuff together and went and picked up my number and then picked up my timing chip and got my number and age written on my arms and legs.  Then I went to the room and got all my gear and got it set up in the transition area.  You set up the bike and all the bike and run gear.  I then went to breakfast and ate a big one!  Finished about an hour before the race was due to start.  I saw a guy sitting by himself and asked if I could sit with him.  Glad i did because we hada great conversation for about an hour.  Then I went to get my wetsuit on.

We made our way down to the lake.  First, the International distance took off- that one was twice as long as mine.  Next, the Sprint folks made our way down and jumped in.  The water was about 76 degrees- not nearly as cold as I thought it would feel.  I waited my turn and then off we went!  The swim was only 500 yards, but it felt a lot further.  I ended up in the back of the swim back, as usual, but by the end, I think I was about 3/4 back- not bad for only swimming the last 3 weeks!  If you have never swum with 50 people all vying to be in the front, you cannot imagine what it is like.  I have heard of people freaking out and hyperventilating and my goal was to stay calm and swim smooth.  Arms are flying, feet are kicking.  I got kicked in the head a few times, but no big deal.  I didn't like it went a couple of women wrapped their arm around my neck and didn't seem to get it off fast enough, but I later did the same thing to someone else.  The other difficult thing is staying straight.  I swim pretty straight, but I'd lift my head every 5-7th left sided stroke and take a quick check of the marker to make sure I was still headed towards it.  by the time I got there, I was starting to pass some people.  I passed more and more by the time I got to the end and then got heaved out of the water.  I had to go up a huge steep hill to get to the transition area- I speed walked it.  There was to be no running up that hill for me!  The swim was 500 yards and I think it might have taken me about 20 minutes.

Once I got to the transition area, I stripped off my wetsuit and dried off a bit, threw on my bike shoes and socks, helmet, gloves, and jersey and took off!  i could hardly breathe, but I settled into a nice rhythm.  I got passed by a few women on the uphills, but no one, not even the men, passed me on the downhills!  I got up to 33mph at one point.  I noticed that a lot of people would coast down the hills, but not me!  I down shift and lay on the peddles and go down as fast as possible.  the only good thing about uphills is the down on the other side.  There was one really bad one where some people were getting off and walking- there was no way I was walking.  I ended up in one of my easiest gears doing about 5mph, but I never stopped!  I was hoping to maintain 20 mph, but with the hills, it ended up being 15mph over the 10 mile bike course.  I can live with that!

After the bike, you jump off BEFORE the line (you get disqualified if you go just one inch past the line while still on it), then ran the bike up the hill back to my spot in the transition area and stripped off my bike shoes and helmet and gloves and jersey, threw on my running cap and shoes and took off!  I ran in my bike shorts and sports bra.  My first mile was amazing! I felt great!  I think the way to do well on my PT test will be to ride 10 miles and then jump off and run!  My goal was 10 min miles over the 3.2 mile course, and I averaged just under that.  I was so excited!  Especially given the horrible hills.  I about fell over at the end, but it was great.

The family was actually at the end of the bike and the run to see me.  It's the first time they have ever seen me race.  My finish time was 1:31.47- about 10 min slower than I was hoping for, but that is accounted for by the hills on the bike.  It was so much fun racing again and talking to people and just the whole festive atmosphere.  they pulled pork bbq sandwiches, baked beans and brownies after the event- yum.  I only ate a little and was full, but after my shower, I was hungry again, so I ate some more.

All in all, it was a great day!  So happy I did it!

Oh and break though on my compulsiveness- publishing this without proofreading!  Hope it's OK!!!!!!!

No comments: