Search This Blog

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Glass half full. Or is it half empty???

It was only a few years ago that I figured out which was which.  You know, when someone says their glass is half full, that means they are an optimist.  I think.  Someone explained that a "half fuller" is optimistic because they believe that it's possible that if the glass is half full now, then there is the possibility that it could be all the way full eventually.  Hence, they are optimistic.  And a person is a pessimist if they think that their glass is half empty, because they are pretty sure that it will eventually be all the way empty.  I never saw it that way and I think that's why I never understood that stupid saying.  And I still never use it!

Here's why.  I think of it the opposite.  (What a surprise, right?)  I think of my glass as having chocolate milk in it.  Chocolate milk is the nectar of the gods.  It is the best drink on earth.  If all that existed was chocolate milk and beer, I'd be fine.  What chocolate milk doesn't work with (pizza, crabs, steak), beer is awesome.  And the other way around.  Anyway, my glass is full of chocolate milk.  I drink half of it.  Now my glass is half empty.  Awesome!  I have drunk half my milk and I'm optimistic that I can drink the rest in another two seconds or so. Now life is great because I have drunk an entire glass of delicious chocolate milk.  Say my glass is only half full.  Well, I'm pretty optimistic that I could easily fill it the rest of the way.  Or am I pessimistic because that's all that was left in the jug and half full is all I'm gonna get?  Dang!  Now you can see why I get confused.

Or maybe it's a matter of  control.  Half empty- I emptied it and I'm optimistic I can empty the rest.  Half full- I'm pessimistic that anyone else will fill it for me.  I just don't know.  So I avoid it all together.  I'm an optimistic and I'm just not sure what's going on with that glass.

Don't even get me started on the fact that bimonthly can mean two times a month or every other month.  I don't even allow that word.

1 comment:

I am Hairpin said...

Dr. Knight, I believe you should just stay clear of the whole half full/empty argument. I would however diagnose you as optimistic.