Search This Blog

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Tour de Ruidoso

Had a great ride today in the mountains about an hour from here.  My colleague picked me up at 0600 and we drove up into the mountains.  There were four of us and we pretty much stuck together.  It took us about 4.5 hours of riding and 45 minor rest stops.  The hills were hard, but I did a lot better than I thought I would.  I didn't embarrass myself!  And one of the guys I was with seemed to be surprised by how well I did.  I think he was thinking I'd be slow, but I know I wasn't.  It was 5200 feet of climbing.  One hill was several miles long.  Thanks goodness the first hill was actually the steepest and worst.  The last two were small, but they were only bad because they were at the end.  The post race party was good.  Had a delicious green chile burger and I won a carved bear.  When they called my name, I had no idea what I won, but I screamed and acted all crazy anyway.  The. I thanks the aAcademy and all my supporters who had gotten me there.  It was kind of funny.  And that was BEFORE two beers!  Then a while later my buddy won two entries to a race the following weekend in El Paso.  We screamed like idiots again.  People were laughing and having more fun anyway.  The DJ was pretty awesome, playing some old music and of course I had to get up and sat.  And sit in my chair and dance.  And walk and dance.  A guy came over to dance with me..that was pretty funny.  He was a white guy in his 50s who didn't really dance too well, but he was having a lot of fun!  

We drove home and then I had to change and go to Oktoberfest.  It was put on by the Germans here and could have been a lot of fun if I wasn't exhausted!  They had good music and food and I got a free beer with my free VIP entry ticket.  Talked to some people and then came home and packed.  Can wait to go home tomorrow and see the family!!!

No comments: