Search This Blog

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Tour de Las Cruces

Well, apparently I'm into these 100K tours now. Did another one today.  This one was relatively flat down in Las Cruces. It's about an  hour from here and I went with some other folks from base.  Two of them were the on the Tour de Ruidoso a few weeks ago.  Shockingly, though, this one was harder.  I think because it was relatively flat, I went way harder and there was only one stop.  Let me just say that when a ride is 62 miles long, 47 miles is way too late to put a dang rest stop.  My quads were killing me by then!  A there wasn't even a porta potty.  Thank goodness I had taken a break in the weeds about 10 miles before.  Actually, we all did!  I did discover later that some thorny weeds had gotten stuck in my shorts!  I have no idea why it didn;t bther me when I was riding, but after I got off, they were stabbing me a LOT!

The last 20 miles were soooo painful.  My quads were in agony.  Basically all I could do was put my head down and push on. I got on the wheel of my buddy and just let him pull and I followed.  That is the most painful ride I have ever been on. Even the mountains of Ruidoso didn't hurt that much!  Garmin says it was actually 63 miles and I did it in 4 hours at an average of 16 miles per hour. That's a good sustained pace for me over that long.  But I'd like to get it up to 20.

My friend KJ talked me into starting spinning on Tues and Thurs with him a few other people I know. That should help with my speed.  My endurance is good, but I can't hold a fast pace for more than an hour. I'll fix that!!

No comments: