Search This Blog

Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day 2010

Today was Memorial Day in Afghanistan.  From the looks of the Facebook updates of my friends, it appears the US spent the day Barbeque'ing.  That did not happen here.  We had a 10K run this AM which I ran and got my shirt.  There was a memorial service and the flag was half staff until 1200.  But for the most part, it was business as usual in the business of saving people from being honored today.  I'm sure someone has been added today to the rolls of those who gave all.  Being here and seeing the broken bodies of the men (and one woman) who have been mangled by this war gives this day a whole new meaning for me.

Today there were several articles in the media about women in war.  I've included one here, as well as the photos that go with it.  I definitely have mixed feelings about the issue.  I think that women ought to be able to do the same things men do, but at the same time, most women cannot carry a 80-100 pound ruck.  Nor can they fight hand to hand in the same way.  And a man's instinct is often to protect a woman, perhaps when he should be fighting.  The article I attached is a good example of how women can be useful on a similar playing field as men.  A few weeks ago, we had a female soldier on the ward who had lost her leg.  She was pretty, with blond hair.   She still had her make-up on when she came to us.  She had been attacked with an IED and  had lost her leg just below the knee.  Her presence was very hard on the the staff.  I think they get used to seeing young men and foreign men, but they are definitely not used to seeing a woman.  Everyone can picture their mother or sister in that young woman and that makes it personal for them.  It's the same way with kids- those are very difficult for the staff.  maybe more so, because they were usually playing when they stepped on the mine or were hit by a flying bullet.  It has really made me appreciate my family and how lucky I am that we are all OK.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/world/asia/30marines.html
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/05/29/world/0529MARINES.html

I hope you all have a relaxing day today.  Please say a prayer for the families of those heroes who gave all so that we can continue to live our lives as free citizens.

1 comment:

Richard (Dad) said...

Here in Venice (& Sarasota County) there were a lot of flags & parades today. Two friends told me just this morning to thank you for your service. My neighbor Dan is flying a flag - as are we, so there is a LOT of awareness here of the many sacrifices made by our service personnel. There are many, many veterans here who honor the fallen. Please be careful and make sure your people are safe also....

Dad