Search This Blog

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Tears

So there I was.  Sitting in the smoke shack, reading Bill O'Reilly and smoking a cigar.  A couple of F-15s took off and I got a chill.  Then for some reason I started to cry.  Not sure why.  But it made me sad.  Whenever they take off, I'm not sure if it's just a routine mission where they are providing support, or if they have been called out on a specific support mission to get some guys out of trouble.  Many of the Army units have an Air Force JTAC (Joint Tactical Air Controller) with them who communicate with the Air Force and give the planes the coordinates to shoot or drop a bomb or something.  If they are calling in a jet to bomb so close to their own unit, things are going very badly.  Anyway, every time I see a jet take off I wonder it it's routine or they are going to save our guys.  


In morning I see the MRAPs heading out on patrol and I say a prayer that they will come home safely.   Many evenings I see them come back and I say another prayer thanking God that they came home.  Last night we got 3 traumas from one of the Forward Operating Bases.  They were the guys that headed out in the morning not knowing what they would run into.  One guy had his jaw broken, another had his arm filleted open to relieve the pressure of the swollen muscles, and another had his leg amputated above the knee.  I watched our amazing ER crew take care of them.....the Soldier with the amputation needed blood and it was being hung by the nurse 1 minute and 45 seconds after the doctor ordered it.  Incredible!  I stayed late and watched each of their surgeries.  They had their wounds explored, cleaned and dressed.  The Soldier with the broken jaw had his jaw wired.  They will all go to Germany in the next 48 hours or so for further care.  After staying there for as long as it takes to get them well stabilized (maybe a few days to a week), they will fly to Walter Reed, where their families can meet them.


I read the Air Force times every week and in each issue I read the names of all the personnel who have been killed.  There used to be a few every week.  Now, the entire page is filled with names.  I read each name and how he or she died.  I figure it's the least I can do to honor their memory.

No comments: