Search This Blog

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hope

Awesome church service today about hope.  It really spoke to me because I tend to be optimistic and hopeful and it takes a lot to crush my hope.  But I don't do disappointment well.  When I get my hopes up and then they get dashed, I get really bummed out and then sad.  I get over it relatively quickly, but I hate it.  I always hope that things will get better. I end every hard day hoping that tomorrow will be better.  If I mess up, I make a plan to learn from my mistakes and then hope that I do better next time.

The preacher gave an example of an experiment done with rats where one rat was dropped into a vat of water in the complete dark to see how long it would swim.  It lasted 3 minutes.  Then they did the same thing with another rat, but this time, they let a crack of light into the room that the rat could see.  Guess how long it lasted.  36...............................
HOURS!!!!!!!!
That is amazing to me.  One little ray of light gave that rat the hope to keep swimming until he was exhausted.  Or maybe the first rat was just a crappy swimmer.  But I doubt it.  I really believe in the power of hope.

Hopelessness is the worst prognostic factor for someone who is depressed.  Once they get to the point where they have no hope, they are in grave danger of committing suicide.  Why would someone continue life if they thought there was no way it would ever get better?  I can't even imagine being that low, but I can imagine what I would do if I were.


Romans 15:13 (New International Version, ©2010)


 13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

No comments: