Search This Blog

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Smile, It can't be that bad!

Really?  Who says?  Has anyone ever said this to you?  I would bet that if you are a man, no one has.  If you are a woman, you may have heard it several times in your life, or maybe even often.  I have heard it occasionally and it has always irked me because it's just dumb.  Of course it could be that bad!  I've even had people say it to me in hospital elevators.  HOSPITAL ELEVATORS!!!!!!   In a HOSPITAL!!!!!  Of course it could be that bad!!  People are sick and die in hospitals!

The other night I read that this is a phrase said almost exclusively to women because they are supposed to be smiley and agreeable.  So when someone said that to me a couple of days ago, I had had enough.  I was washing a cup out at the common sink at work, and a guy walked in and said, "Smile!  It can't be that bad."  I said, "How do you know?"  He told me it really couldn't.  I repeated what I had said- how could he know?  I had to say it one more time before he gave up.  I decided that time not to let it go.

I would really like that phrase to just go away.  And the next time some clueless jerk face says it to you, don't let him get away with it.  Oh yeah- it's always men who say it.  Never once has it been a woman.

No comments: