Search This Blog

Monday, April 19, 2010

Boring is Good

Nothing too exciting lately.  Last week flew by- I think because I spent the first half in a coma.  Ten I got real busy the last half- that's usually good for making time pass quickly.  I had an awesome Sunday yesterday- sleep in Sunday, I call it.  Slept in till about 0800, then went for a run- my first workout in a week. It was horrible.  the first 2 miles was OK, the 3rd was kind of bad, the 4th was awful...I was counting steps!!!  Run 300, walk 100.  When walking I was all lightheaded. I got back, laid on my cold floor, drank some Accelerade, and then did 3 min barefoot on the treadmill.  That part was great.  I did it again today- no calf or foot soreness WHATSOEVER!  When I started at 5 min, I was sore.  I'll stay at 3 min this week and advance to 5 next week and see how it goes.  Anyhow, on rounds on Saturday I got really lightheaded too and had to sit down.  Then it happened again today and I had a nurse check my blood sugar.  Crap!  I hate medical people!  She jammed this lancet practically down to my bone on the side (!) of my finger (supposed to be the edge of the pad, not the very side where I have no meat!).  Anyway, it was 100.  Not low enough to explain lightheadedness.  I had already had a cereal bar and a bottle and a half of water, so I drank some more water, ate some fruit and eggs for breakfast and felt better.  Then went and did 75 min in the gym followed by 3 min barefoot running and I felt fine.    Tomorrow is another 4 miles.  I'm drinking now and will do some gel at the beginning of my run- see how that goes.

Tomorrow I have something fun to do.... at 0800 I'm going to do a "signing ceremony" with one of my Sergeants.  She wrote a poem called "Someone Special" about how it takes someone special to take care of the sick patients we see.  She is a Staff Sergeant who works in the ICU and she read me the poem yesterday- it made me cry a little bit.  I asked her if it would be OK to print it out and hang it in the ICU and she said it would be.  So I printed it, and tomorrow I will take pictures of her signing it and then do a little ceremony of hanging it in the ICU where people will read it after she leaves.
Interesting what a small Air Force it is....she has an unusual last name- Mosca- I mentioned to her that I knew an Airman Mosca at Yokota...it's her sister!

2 comments:

Richard (Dad) said...

Leslie: could you please post the poem when you can. I'm pretty sure that a lot of other people would like to see it.


Also - - - quit having fun !!


Dad

AFDr.Mom said...

I will post it- had to get her permission first. And then I have to remember to email it home to myself!