Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Happiness is in the Little Things

I had a great run this morning (finally!) and as I was laying there in my favorite yoga pose called Corpse pose (because you lay there on your back looking like a corpse and it's the only yoga pose I know), I could see steam coming off my body.  It made me smile.  I love it when the air is cold and I'm hot and the steam comes off me- makes me feel like a warrior or something.

Then I got to thinking- it doesn't take much to make me happy.  A nice coffee mug, some steamy skin, the look of the mountains this morning as the rain was clearing and the clouds were moving on, dodging mud puddles....  those things all make me happy.  And it doesn't take all of them.  It only takes one.  And I think that is the key to a happy fulfilling life.  If I can be amused or happy from small things, and recognize them when I see them, then I can be happy a hundred times a day.

I wonder if it is the non-recognition of the small happy things that makes people unhappy and constantly looking for big thrills.  Maybe that's why some people do drugs- looking for that feel-good, when they could just look around and feel good all day long.

It's the Little Things that make me happy.  I like that.

No comments: