Search This Blog

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Contrasts 3-6-10 @ 9:07PM

Tonight I am leaving Manas. As I was walking through the base with my linens in my arms, my back pack on my back and my briefcase slung over my shoulder, I passed the local club, Pete’s, blasting music. It was a catchy tune; some of you may have heard it- “Stanky Leg”. I was grooving to the beat as I walked past, listening to the crowd inside whooping and hollering and having a great time. As I walked on, I came to another sound of music, nearly as rowdy, with some great drum beats and some awesome singing. These were live voices, not a CD. There was clapping, and singing, and shouting. This one I lingered at. It was coming from the Chapel. I dropped off my linens and checked out of my room and then went back to listen to the gospel music for a few minutes before I had to report for my flight.

It struck me that both groups were having an equally good time, in completely different ways. And probably the people frequenting each would not be comfortable in the one they weren’t in. And I felt better for some reason knowing that also I could enjoy the first on occasion, it was the second I preferred.

No comments: