Search This Blog

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Successes 21 March at 10:21AM

I just finished running 6 miles.  Mile 6 was uncomfortable, but not nearly as miserable as mile 5 was last week!  I feel great!  It was really dusty and I could hardly see the mountains because of the dust in the air....but I guess I'm getting used to that.  It didn't really seem to bother me that much.  And I am finding things to look at (I get really bored when I run).  There is some construction on base and they have made some progress since last week.  There's a road I'm thinking about running next week that goes right next to the perimeter fence.  Should be safe in the daytime, except for the little kids throwing rocks.  I need to start taking a camera with me.  I saw some flowers I wanted to take a picture of.  If it turns out well, I'll post the pics and my thoughts- they are in a very interesting place.

The other success is that for the first time in my life (EVER!) I have lost weight accidentally.  I generally get really annoyed by people who can do that.  The genes on both sides of my family favor large women.  There are only a couple of reasons I'm not everweight- Jack insists on it, I can't stand the thought of it because it would slow me down and be unhealthy, and I exercise like a crazy woman.  Even on the rare occasions that I get sick, I don't lose weight.  In fact, since one of my stages of hunger is nausea (hungry feeling, hunger pains/twisting, headache, nausea, grouchy), I think my body interprets every single from my gut area as hunger.  Whenever I feel yucky, I think food will help.  And it usually does!  Weird.

Anyway, I have not had a scale in 3 weeks.  OK- we do have scales in the hospital, but I wear different clothes all the time, with a 4.5 pound gun, without the gun, sometimes in ABUs, sometimes in PTU (PT Uniform), sometimes in the morning when I remember and sometimes in the afternoon.   How am I supposed to keep track like that?  I like to have my own scale in my own place at the same time every day.  The women reading this will understand.  Anyway,  my scale finally arrived- I lost 3 pounds in 3 weeks!  WOW!!!!!!!  And I was afraid I was eating too much at meals.  But I am eating 3/4 of a tray of veggies and a little meat.  And most of the meat is not that good, so I am only eating bits of the stuff I love the best.  I feel terrible throwing food away, though.  I bet the food we throw away on this base could feed the whole country.  It's crazy.  I wonder what the Afghans who work here think?  I have seen them eat gigantic piles of bread and fruit- something I bet they cannot get at home. 

Anyway, just wanted to share my run and diet successes.  Since it's Sunday, it's time now to clean my room (sweep, mop,and take out the trash- it's already neat), then go to lunch, then go to work, check off another week on my countdown list and write letters and watch the shows Jack sent me on DVD (thanks, honey!!), then drop off laundry before I go to church at 3PM, then pick up other laundry after church, then go back to work for awhile, then go to dinner, then maybe try to Skype the family.  I tried last night, but the connection was too slow- I think everyone was on the internet at the same time.  I am settling into a routine here that is quite comfortable.

No comments: