Search This Blog

Monday, March 15, 2010

First Serious Trauma 15 March @ 9PM

This AM we had a rocket attack on base. One foreign contractor killed while he slept, two American Contractors with minor injuries. I get paged when we get attacked- this was my first one. The drill is get ready as fast as possible, then throw on body armor (Individual Body Armor- IBA) and helmet and get to work. Hospital personnel can use our badge to get around on base when others are stuck where they are- just like any other base. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of these as the summer heats up. I am in a hardened dorm on the first floor and my bed is on the opposite side of the room from the window- so don't worry- I'm pretty safe.

Later in the ER, we got a local national who was attacked by a landmine. That's the story anyway. He had left facial injuries and his right arm was nearly blown off at the elbow. Now, how does a landmine blow off your arm and the opposide side of your face? Most people step on landmines. We don't know yet (and I might be able to tell you when I do know), but it's awfully suspicious to me. I suspect he was either poking it with a stick (maybe doing some kind of mine clearing activity?) or he was building something and it blew up in his hand. I'm trying to picture how that would happen and it seems less likely. I'm going with the stick poking theory. Anyway, he came in from off base with a tournequet on and the rest of his arm below the elbow was just a hanging piece of meat. They ended up having to amputate due to the severity of the injury. He'll probably lose an eye as well. But if our hospital were not here, he would have probably died.

It is amazing to see the appreciation of the guys that depend on us to take care of them. The ones who come visit their buddies have great respect for what we do. And we respect them for what they do as well.....none of us wants to be out where they are! If a person makes it to us alive, he has a 99% chance of leaving alive. Amazing.

I saw my first Purple Heart Ceremony the other day. It was amazing. These two guys were all beat up lying in their bed or sitting in a chair and the commanding general and command chief came over to present their medals. It was a very moving simple little ceremony. They will both leave the AOR and go home to recuperate. Everyone in the hospital treats them as heroes.

4 comments:

Richard (Dad) said...

Happy Ides of March !! It sounds as if you're being thrown right into it. Kitty & I are happy to know so much of what's going on -- this blog was a great idea. Keep it up.

Dad

Hairpin said...

I love this blog. It is almost as manic as having the real AF Dr. Mom at Yokota.

Please be safe and wear your body armor at all times.

Do you get to take the body armor home with you? Do you get to pick the type of body armor you wear?

I hear in the news that are troops are inadequately equipped.

Your thoughts?

johnsonsconnection said...

It's amazing to hear what's really going on and how real it really is. When I was in Germany working the CASF it was awesome being part of their recovery. I can only imagine being the one to save their lives! I love reading your blog!

AFDr.Mom said...

Everyone I see has plenty of body armor. I'm not an expert on that stuff, but the outside the wire guys look pretty bulky.
I don;t pick my body armor- or when I wear it! But it weighs a ton. Although it's surprisingly comfortable. I think the day after tomorrow I'll do PT wtih the other squadron- they have a body armor walk- sounds fun!